Thursday, September 24, 2009

2007 The Show Cabernet Napa

This has 3 names on it including Gott which I assume is Joel Gott who has an eponymous label. I'm writing from the Admiral's Club, celebrating its 70th birthday at DCA by giving away wine and cheese/. This is the red on offer. IT's very soft, no tannin and little acid. The fruit is faintly reminiscent of cabernet and the nose is a bit of sweet plum, a hint of licorice and oak. IF this wine costs $7 I'd say it's worth it. Not a lot of complexity or nuance, this is a simple red table wine that has enough fruit to be acceptable compared to so many acid-emphasizing, vinegar-like cheap wines. However I really don't know that it's cheap, I'm just assuming it is. OK I went to Winesearcher.com and found that the cheapest price there was $10.49. IT would be interesting to do a $10 cabernet comparative tasting, esp using Australian cabs against US. I know I've had the Beringer Knights Valley Cab at about $18 and it's way better than this. I'd give this one 86 points, which means it's better than a couple of the cabs or bordeaux I've written about earlier that presumably cost about the same. There is no entry on Parker or Wine Spec.

No comments:

Post a Comment