Thursday, September 24, 2009

2002 Andrew Will Sorella

I've clearly become a big fan of Andrew Will. Previously I've tasted a couple of his other wines. In this case I saw MacArthur had a big sale, 1/3 off which placed both 2002 and 2004 Sorella at the magic $35 point that I can (barely) justify spending. I keep thinking it's the equivalent of what I used to spend when I spent $18 for Pichon Lalande in 1981. THose were the days. Anyh0ow, this one isn't as good as the 2006. It has developed some bottle bouquet which is absolutely delightful and very St. Julien. On palate I get blackberry, blueberry, blackcurrant and black cherry along with a pleasant herbal/spice overtone. The tannins on this one are resolved and it will probably improve only for perhaps another year, then hit a plateau for 5-8 years. I don't think this one will go past about 2015. The finish doesn't match the 2006 Sorella. It's not short but relative to other ANdrew Will's I've had it is the shortest and least complex. But it's still mighty fine and I think just about anything from this winery is going to be excellent. These days you're not going to get a Bordeaux blend from Bordeaux itself that's as good as this for under $40. Sadly.

I should note I'm writing this 2 days after tasting for the first time on 9/21. I did use gas (the refrigeration on this unit too, the single wine bottle Preservino, is broken) and tasted again on 9/22. It was absolutely first rate, even more integrated on the palate though less forward on the nose. I think 91+ is a good rating for this one.

Here's Parker (93 points):
Produced entirely from fruit acquired from Paul Champoux’s Champoux Vineyard, the 2002 Sorella is fashioned from 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 19% Cabernet Franc, and 8% Petit Verdot. Tar-laced black fruits, sweet spices, and herbs are found in this beauty’s aromas as well as flavors. Medium-bodied, muscular, and intricate, it is a lovely, concentrated, as well as complex offering with a long, flavor-packed, and slightly warm (from alcohol) finish. Drink it between 2007 and 2018.

There is no Wine Spectator on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment