Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2006 Stuhlmuller Cabernet

2006 Stuhlmuller Cabernet

Bought this on rec of Michael Du at Pearson’s where I purchased a full case of wine on sale. This one is a winner. It was $45 with 30% off=32.50 and I’d give it 94 points. I'd never heard of this winery before.

There is a berry aroma and flavor I can’t identify, maybe it’s mulberry—something I haven’t detected in a wine before. There’s also a nutty spiciness that I like a lot and toasty vanilla. The finish is long, balanced, with plenty of acid to balance the ripe fruit and noticeable tannins. I’d think it’ll drink well for 7-8 years. I'm glad to learn that Mr. Du is a reliable informant. He also had me taste a couple of California Pinot Noirs that I agreed were very fine. Parker and Wine Spec both give it 91. I now see that perhaps the distinctive nose is the black tea.

Parker: Proprietor Fritz Stuhlmuller has also produced an outstanding, reasonably priced ($40) 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon. Sweet, earth-infused black currant and black cherry fruit is accompanied by a wine exhibiting excellent depth, a full-bodied mouthfeel, no hard edges, and hints of Chinese black tea and spicy oak. Consume it over the next decade.

Wine Spec 91 points: Firm, concentrated and well-balanced, offering dense, chewy cedary currant, anise, spice and nutmeg notes that are full-bodied and tannic, with touches of herb and spice. Drink now through 2014. 1,950 cases made. Release price $36.

No comments:

Post a Comment