Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to Priorat 2005 batllet gratallops


First post since March 2011. I know my many fans (n=8) have missed my tasting notes, so here goes. I was sidelined by hepatitis as some of you know.

So this wine is a very pretty mixture of cherry, spring flowers, pine/cedar and chicory on the nose. Dark and fulll bodied, with tannins still in evidence 6 yrs after the harvest. This has majority Carignan i believe. I can taste the grenache and cabernet, or so i convince myself. But it is the flowers that are esp noteworthy for a red with plenty of tannin. In other words, this is drinkable now but should last another 5-6 yrs.

Gratallops (pictured above) is a small hill town in Priorat, the small exquisite wine area about an hour south of Barcelona. Wines of priorat (priory) combine the French varietals merlot, syrah and cab with more traditionally spanish(but slso french) carignan, mourvedre, and grenache--a wonderful match. I think Priorat is my second favorite region (bordeaux is #1 for me).

I know Parker gave this wine 94 and tanzer90+. I would say 92+. a very fine wine for $20 from CH Wine Co.

Here is the Parker review:
2005 Closa Batllet is a blend of 65% Carinena, 22% Garnacha, and the balance Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah. It was aged for 15 months in French and American oak. It offers up a classy nose of cedar, liquid minerals, lavender, cinnamon, blueberry, and black cherry. Layered on the palate with silky tannin, this rich, full-flavored effort has great concentration and a lengthy, pure finish. Give it 2-3 years of additional cellaring and drink it through 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment