Sunday, January 10, 2010

T. Moillard Vosne Romanee Malconsorts


This one was tucked in my wine refrig; I don't recall but assume probably obtained it from Carolina Wine in the early 2000s. Generally I don't drink burgundies since they're too expensive and confusing. If you want really good ones you have to pay over $100. Don't know what i paid for this one. First night it was pretty primary, fruit and acid and no noticeable tannin (it is 10 yrs old, plenty old for a red (or white) burgundy). It was preserved by Preservino unrefrigerated and I must say it's better tonight. The nose combines cinnamon, red fruits, including maybe pomegranate. A touch perhaps of the old beans and franks. The palate is the pinot noir rasp/strawberry, spice (nutmeg + cinnamon?) and a good acid backbone to promote a long finish. This one was only rated, I think, by wine spectator which gave it a mere 80 points. Maybe they didn't let it mellow for 24 hours as I did. I'd say it merits 88 points and in no way is over the hill--unless it was even better a few years ago. In any case more than 80 pts. I found a bottle on wine searcher.com for $70 in Australia.

Fresh and a bit tart, with clean, crisp cherry, red berry character and dried herbs notes. Juicy finish. Drink now through 2003. 1,665 cases made. –PM

No comments:

Post a Comment