Monday, December 7, 2009

Drinking Argentinian wine in Bogota, Colombia

Down in Bogota for only my 2nd trip to South America (first being Brazil for IPSA in 1982) and thoroughly enjoyed it (except for almost getting mugged or kidnapped, I never found out exactly what the two criminals would've done to me if I'd followed them to the side street they claimed I needed to go to in order to show police my documents). Among the pleasures was drinking some Argentina wines. Never had any except for a swig or two at a store tasting of cheap ones.

At Oyster 69 (hmm) had an excellent meal of abalone, which was my first time and it was exquisite, and steak (also outstanding), along with glasses of unidentified cabernet and then malbec. Both very nice, 90 point wines. At Harry's Bar with its really extensive S.A. wine list, had Clos de los Siete 2006 or 2007 (couldn't read in the dark). This is a bordeaux type blend. Also very good 90 points or so. The Malbec was distinguished by a pleasant spiciness from the cab which was a nice new world cab with currant overtones. The Siete being a mixture had some black cherry and perhaps a bit more dimension than the cab at Oyster 69. The steak at Harry's also excellent.

Bogota was interesting, good colonial architecture district and museums (of Independence and of Gold esp), and the people I met at the University of los Andes were cosmopolitan and friendly, esp my host Carlos Cabelleros, Dean there and also a columnist for El Tiempre, the leading newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment