Tuesday, February 6, 2024

2016 Mt Eden Cabernet Sauvignon

 Tasted in 2023, note is not dated.

A little lightening at the rim but still deep purple otherwise. Nose on opening lovely creme de cassis, hints of spice, vanilla, blackberry, woodsy. Taste: lots of fruit, lots of acid. Long, warmish finish. Tannins are soft. The taste isn't as complex as the nose, which is really beautiful. I'm guessing this is 100% cabernet sauvignon. Taste is more strawberry/cherry than the nose. I wish I could have a bottle in 3-4 more years--the acid will preserve the wine along with tannins, and then it'll be magnifique. Galloni gave it 98 pts and says drink starting in 2026; Parker 97+, drink starting 2022. And I was wrong, this has 12% merlot, 7% cab franc and 2% petit verdot. Jancis Robinson says 17.5, drink starting 2020.

After airing, the taste got more complex, still with a very long finish. With discounts for suggestibility, after reading online reviews, I do sense some mint and menthol on nose and taste. All in all, one of the best wines I've had in past few years. I have Domaine Eden '17 Cab to try (it's the less expensive bottling) and as of the tasting, one more bottle of 2016 Mt Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment