Thursday, November 24, 2011

Herman Story Nuts and Bolts 2008 Syrah

As usual, this is a very big and delicious wine. After a few minutes of airing, I especially enjoyed the spearmint or wintergreen element added onto the deep blackberry and huckleberry essence. The wine is very dark purple, highly extracted. Tannins are soft and actually barely noticeable given how ripe and sweet the fruit is. Alcohol is high according to label but goes down without much hotness, again due to fruit. I'm sure some would deride this as over-ripe fruit bomb, but not me. I stand with fruit. I agree with Parker's rave:

The compelling 2008 Syrah Nuts & Bolts falls short of being bombastic. Its opaque purple color is accompanied by a knock-out nose of graphite, incense, blackberries, acacia flowers, and tar. This multilayered, full-bodied effort is the most backward of any of the Herman Story wines, and the tannins, while prominent, are sweet and well-integrated. Layered, pure, and stunningly rich, it should drink well for a decade or more. Readers looking for super-concentrated, extroverted, exuberant, powerhouse wines from California's Central Coast need look no further than the Herman Story estate. 95 pts.

I think Parker's "incense" what what I interpreted as spearmint/wintergreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment