Thursday, July 23, 2009

2005 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac) outside Pomerol

Got a fantastic deal from CH Wine Co on this one for just $16/bottle, about half price, by the case. Apparently the distributor needed to raise some cash fast and god bless him for that. A 93 Point Parker 2005 bordeaux for this price is pretty much unheard of. This is the first of 12 entries, perhaps I'll try one per year through 2020. As always I have not read Parker's notes so I can give my own impression. The wine was shipped to the store only 2 weeks ago so it isn't exactly settled down yet.

The nose is very deep and somewhat unyielding. Color deep purple almost to the rim. I'm getting black cherry and a very pleasant woodsy aroma, not vegetal and not floral but like spring leaves. A hint of toasty oak. On the palate this is just massive. Big tannins, plenty of acid and gobs of fruit, medium to full body. It really tastes and smells undeveloped but with great promise. The finish is very, very long, and warm without being overly hot/alcoholic. This is the most tannic wine I've drunk since beginning the blog in June, really mouth coating and not as soft and integrated as in several other young wines I've had recently. Some licorice and cocoa on the finish. I'd say this one needs about 5 years, ie shouldn't really be drunk till 2015 or so. I'd think it'll be drinking well till 2025 or even 2030 as the fruit seems ripe enough to remain while the tannins soften and the acid will be just about right to sustain the wine without overwhelming the fruit. When it all comes together and has the bottle age it should taste like a very nice Pomerol, somewhat reminiscent of Vieux Chateau Certan 1986 that we had at Charlie Trotter's in May 2009. With more air a raspberry perfume appeared. The wine is about 75% merlot, 22% Cab Franc and just 3% cab sauvignon.

I think from the high tannin I awoke Friday morning with a huge headache. Earlier notes on Le Bon Pasteur 2005 suggested more promise and current pleasure (and it's a Parker 94 point wine, from Pomerol itself, and cost much more $, so it goes).

So here's what Parker says, pretty close to me. I think the wine must have become more tannic since he tasted the bottle in 2008. He calls spring flowers what I called spring leaves...:
La Vieille Cure’s amazing 2005 is even better than their terrific 2003 and 2000. The 2005 boasts an inky/ruby color as well as a gorgeously sweet perfume of charcoal, black cherries, black currants, and spring flowers as well as an underlying mineral component. Superb concentration, full-bodied power, wonderful symmetry, purity, and texture, and a multidimensional mouthfeel are all found in this fabulous sleeper of the vintage. Anticipated maturity: 2010-2020+

No comments:

Post a Comment