Saturday, July 24, 2010

2002 Penfold's Grenache Reserve

As my many, many readers (i.e., somewhere between n=1 and n=2) know, I'm a fan of Australian grenache. It's fruit on top of fruit, yes, but I don't believe in making hedonistic pleasure a sin when it comes to wine (I know I echo Parker in this stance and no doubt he's influenced me; but I find it annoying that somehow the fashion is to condemn wines that are easy to like, as if the truly intelligent and refined wine lover would never stoop to enjoy such wines).

So you look at this 8 year old grenache and it's still very dark, a beautiful purple/red with only a hint of brick red at the edge. The nose is the wonderful blackberry/huckleberry that I love, along with a hint of mocha that comes on strong in mid-palate. There is also the woodsy/pine resin nose that seems more common with grenache than others but can also be found in cabernet and blends thereof. Maybe some spice and flowers; a hint of alcohol also (which is not a bad thing in my view) on the nose. The tannins and acid are there on the finish to keep it balanced and long-lasting. I'd think this one is about at its peak but will also last another 3-4 years given the healthy acid and tannin levels. This one just about equals my 2004 DeLisio Grenache standard: 94 points for this one, just a tad less deep and long than DeLisio. When it comes to all around pleasure, I'd put Australian grenache from old vines like this in the near league with Pomerols.

Had this 24 hrs later, preserved with argon but not refrigerated. It held up very nicely; maybe a shade muted but otherwise in fine drinking shape. I'd gladly drink this weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment